Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Healthy "Taco" Salad

So, we drove up to Washington DC to spend an extended Memorial Day weekend and stopped off at some Civil War battlefields on the way there and back.  DC was an incredible place to remember those who fought for our freedoms!!!  Really fabulous!!  

HOWEVER, I didn't eat so well.  Well, actually I ate REALLY WELL, I just didn't eat things that were good for me!!  I had a filet mignon one night at District Chop House with a good salad (and mashed potatoes), we ate at Fogo De Chao one night...need I say more about that?  If you've never been to a Brazilian Steakhouse, it's all about the meat!!!  They give you a coaster that is green on one side and red on the other.  As long as the green side is up, they come around and continually bring you various meats of your choice.  When you want to take a break, you flip your coaster to red, and they stop coming until you can "catch up".  It is quite an experience and delicious food!  Incredible salad bar as well...did the health value of the salad cancel out all the beef I ate??!! LOL!  We ate Mexican one day at lunch and had the best table side Guacamole I think I've ever had at a place called Oyamel...we were lucky to get a table there, because no matter what time of day or night you walk by there, it's packed to the gills!  Another day I ate lamb chops at a tapas restaurant called La Tosca which was also delish!! In addition, I had a couple of burgers, and a steak sandwich at a cute place called Weezie's in Richmond, VA.  On the way home we stopped in Fredericksburg and had a grass fed burger at a cute little organic lunch spot.  BEST BURGER hands down that I've ever had!!  What a difference grass fed beef makes, apparently!!!  I can only hope that the miles upon miles of walking we did EVERY DAY while in DC helped cancel out all the cholesterol filled meals I had!!!  ;o)

At any rate, I got home and woke up a couple of days later sick, so I really haven't done the best job of meal planning and grocery shopping, so nothing too exciting to post lately!!

This weekend, I made this yummy, healthy taco salad!!




I started out with a bed of chopped organic romaine lettuce.  Sliced half an avocado and placed around the edges of the bowl.  Topped the lettuce with a mixture of seasoned black beans and white shoepeg corn.  Chopped up a couple of campari tomatoes and placed around the edges, sprinkled a little lime juice and coursely ground pepper and kosher salt on the avocados and tomato and topped all with some good mexican cheese!  SO YUMMY!  I did put some spicy taco meat on the hubby's salad, but mine was delish with just the veggies!!  It didn't even need dressing with all the flavors from the various veggies!

Buen Provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment