Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Chickpeas and Cottage Cheese w/ Ground Flaxseed

So, this is my first post to my blog...ever.  I love food, I love cooking, and when my husband and I travel (which we love to do) the focus of our  trips seems to be all the different restaurants we are going to try!

Last month, my Doc said I had high cholesterol and that I either needed to go on a vegetarian and fish diet; or go on meds.  He said no red meat, no chicken, no cookies...WHAT???  I told him I'd opt for the meds, but upon further reflection and research decided I would start exercising and try and add lots of good stuff to my diet and see what happens!  

Not only will I not be able to give up my bed time snack of cookies and (fat free) milk, but I will not be able to give up red meat completely as the very enjoyable weekend tradition with the hubby is red meat on the grill, potato, a large healthy salad and some good red wine!!  However, I'll opt for leaner cuts and smaller portions and try my best to add lots of healthy foods to my diet each day!

According to the Mayo Clinic the following foods are at the top of the list for lowering cholesterol:

-Oatmeal, Oatbran and High Fiber Foods (steel cut oatmeal, apples, pears,     barley, prunes, bananas)
-Fatty Fish and Omega 3's
-Nuts - walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanuts (1.5 oz and make sure not coated in salt and sugar)
Olive Oil

 I will try and add albacore tuna to my weekly lunch schedule, but because I'm not crazy about fish (except for fried, which apparently negates the the value of eating the fish - LOL) I am opting to add ground flax seed to my food each day as it is high in fiber and Omega 3's.

Today for lunch, I mixed up:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1/2 tsp ground golden flax seed
lots of black pepper

It was actually good and very filling! I read that 1-2 TBS per day of flax seed is optimal, but to start slow because of all the fiber in it.  I'll work my way up!

No candy or cookie afterwards either, but have an apple waiting for my afternoon snack!

a ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment